With the mercury rising through the roof, the sweltering Chennai heat is back to scorch the summer in 2019. Are you looking for effective tips to beat the heat? Here are some tips and tricks that will help you stay cool throughout this summer and more.
Tips for your home
- Utilise cross ventilation as much as possible.
- Create an indoor garden of sorts for your home’s eastern and western facing rooms. Strategically placed indoor plants and creepers can reduce room temperature significantly.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs for softer light, much less heat and less carbon footprint. Also, switch off idle electronic devices to avoid unnecessary heat generation.
- Try to use your electrical stoves, microwave ovens, washing machines and dryers less during the daytime.
- Use burlap curtains or thin cotton curtains to stop trapping heat in your rooms. Decorate your room in lighter coloured accessories.
- Sprinkle some water or baby powder in between your bed-linens to release the trapped heat there.
- Use sun-reflecting paints or at least white lime wash on your terrace and roofs.
Tips for your health and lifestyle
- Stay hydrated. Include seasonal fruits and green veggies in your diet. Drink tender coconut water, lassi, buttermilk, fresh fruit juices etc. routinely, to keep your body hydrated and cool internally.
- Minimise your skin’s direct exposure to sun. Wear clothes made of natural fibre like cotton, linen etc., preferably in lighter shades. Avoid layers and synthetic clothes.
- Keep a DIY spray mist of peppermint oil, citronella oil, rosewater and aloe extract handy – a few spritz throughout the day will give you a refreshing and cooling effect.
- Hit the swimming pool instead of gym for your daily exercises.
- Stay away from the mid-day sun (12pm – 3pm in the least). If you have to be outdoors, wear long sleeves, make sure to carry enough water and umbrella to dodge hyperthermia (heat stroke).
- Ensure kids drink plenty of water, wear summer-friendly outfits and change sweaty clothes right after their outdoor games.
When all else fails, head on to the beaches in Chennai, for just a casual stroll on the beach in the late afternoons.
Accept the summer challenge of Chennai and prepare well. Armed with these tips, you’re all set to conquer this dreaded season!